Friday, July 25, 2014

Sentences for reading and writing

The Noun is at the top. what it looks like, can do and how they feel about it are below.
dog
looks          do             feel
    big           run            like
I see a dog. It is big. It is tan. The dog can run. I like the dog.  
 
The noun is in the center and describing words are placed on the outside bubbles.
The child can then write -The dog is brown. The dog is big. etc.


The following sentences will help your child with writing.  We will be writing and labeling from the first week on. I use Kidwriting and Thinking Maps to help them understand what they are doing when they write.  Discovery is the key to helping your child learn how to read and write.  

Practice reading-

  1. I see a dog.
  2. I see the cat.
  3. It is big.
  4. It can run.
  5. I like the car.
  6. Look at the cat.
  7. Can you see the tree?
  8. He can run fast!
  9. She can go out to play.

These are the paragraphs they will be writing soon!! I only use these when the student is not developing their own sentences.

Descriptive -
#1
  1. I see a 
  2. It is 
  3. It is
  4. It can 
  5. I like the 
#2

  1. Look at the 
  2. It is
  3. It has 
  4. It can
  5. I like the

Narrative -

  1. I like the
  2. I go with 
  3. We play
  4. I can 
  5. I like the
Ways to play at home-
This helps your child to learn how to construct sentences and not just 1 or 2 word answers.

Playing at sentence building is really beneficial also.
Choose a noun. -dog
Have your child say a sentence about it.
      I see a dog.
The next player builds up on that sentence.
      I see a big, brown dog.
The next player builds up on that sentence.
      I see a big, brown dog in the yard.
      I see a big, brown dog playing in the backyard with my dad.



Draw a picture or cut one out from a magazine. 
Label all you can.
Tell each other sentences using the labels.





No comments:

Post a Comment